The overall aim of this project is to introduce and deploy to the moulded parts manufacturers a new textured plastic parts mass manufacturing process for the production of low price textured seals for industrial applications.
(Pictures by TDM-Seals)
The technical objectives of the project are:
- Optimize and scale up the SoftSlide technology components.
- To set quality control procedures to guarantee the accurate texturing of moulds curved complex surfaces and the mass production of dynamic textured seals.
- To optimize application and curing procedures for the coating and renovation of sol-gel release coatings on curved complex mould surfaces including UV and thermal curing processes.
- To define application, renovation and maintenance protocols for the industrial implementation of texturing during moulding processes reducing maintenance stops in a 15% for standard processes and allowing the operation of texturing during moulding processes for two shifts.
- To produce micro-patterned molds for real dynamic applications including patterns in a 50-400 microns range with an aspect ratio under 0,5 and patterns density lower than 50%.
- To produce 5 mold prototypes for real dynamic seal applications and validate it mass production manufacturing processes.
- To evaluate energy efficiency and durability enhancement translating the values in LCA and LCC terms.
(Photographs by ML Engraving and Reagent)
The commercial objectives of the project are:
- To protect project’s results.
- To provide a new business line in mold texturing for textured dynamic seals mass production.
- To build a commercialization plan in collaboration with European Plastic Manufacturers Associations, including the final costs and market prices of the SoftSlide Technology that allows to achieve a penetration share between 15-25% of European dynamic seals market in the five years after first commercialization.
- To provide a new business line in sol-gel thin film high performance release coatings for moulded parts production.
- To provide the automotive, agricultural and general industry with a tool able to reduce their energy consumption up to 18%, to reduce costs and comply with energy efficiency.
- To expand SKM portfolio on dynamic seals adding an innovative solution for wide range of applications.
- To expand ML Engraving commercial activity to dynamic seals manufacturers producer.
(Photograph by SKM)
The growth objectives for the consortium in the first five years of commercialisation of SoftSlide are:
- After five years of product commercialization, turnover is expected to be 60 M€, EBITDA of 19,9M€ and 35% ROI for dynamic seal manufacturers with 300 jobs created.
- For SKM turnover is foreseen to be 4,3 M€ with an EBITDA of 0,89 M€, a 35% ROI and the creation of 21 jobs.
- For Reagent turnover is foreseen to be 1,7 M€, with an EBITDA of 0,28 M€ and 26% ROI and the creation of 9 jobs.
- For ML Engraving turnover is foreseen to be 2,7M€, with an EBITDA of 0,52 M€ and 33% ROI and the creation of 14 jobs.
- ITAINNOVA and LUH are foreseen to generate technological services activity of 250.000-350.000 and 3 new PhD´s jobs each one as direct consequence of the SoftSlide project.
- Hydraulic and pneumatic equipment end users will be benefited by 3315 M€/year energy savings and 33150 M KWh/year.
(Pictures by LUH and ITAINNOVA)